August 27, 2015

REVIEW: Capture (Seaside Pictures #1) By, Rachel Van Dyken







Losing your ability to speak at the age of seventeen; it’s not normal or fair.
But trauma, has a way of throwing normality out the window.


Dani lives anything but a normal life.
Her sister is married to one of the biggest names in Hollywood.
Her best friends are rockstar duo AD2.
And she has more love around her than most people experience in a lifetime.
But that doesn't change the fact their parents are dead.
Or that it's her fault.


It seems her new normal is being a mute, living on the inside, unable to actually communicate on the outside.
That is until Hollywood’s newest heartthrob Lincoln Greene hires her as his assistant for the summer.
He's gorgeous, completely unavailable, and unobtainable.
But that doesn't stop her from wondering...if things were different...would he want her?
If she was whole, would he be the other half?




Review


“Because as much as I kept my guard up-he made me want to tear down that wall just to see the other side. Just to remember what it felt like to be normal.”


Rachel Van Dyken has and always will be one of my go to and auto buy authors. I have yet to find a book that was a complete miss for me. Yes, there have been ones that I didn’t completely enjoy but I can always find moments that are some of the best moments. Rachel always seems to create stories, journeys, and characters that completely captivate you from the very first page. This book wasn’t any different. This is a spin-off of the Seaside series and sadly I haven’t read that series previously but I didn’t feel like I needed to. There were other characters with their own stories and as a bonus we get to see the previous couples and check out how they are doing since their stories have ended. This book was funny, romantic, and completely sweet.


“It was in the simple way he walked – or stalked. It was like he couldn’t help but be seductive, even the lilt of his voice had me shivering in response, which was really, really, stupid.”


Dani has been through a tragedy that has taken not only her parents but the person she was before the accident. She has also lost the ability to speak. Dani is a selective mute and she can’t seem to bust down the wall that is keeping her voice only in her head. When she steps off the elevator to her sister’s apartment she learns she has a new assistant job to the newest Hollywood heartthrob. Lincoln Greene has been through his own emotional torment from parents that didn’t love him. Acting gives him the escape from reality that he needs. When he meets Dani he has a connection and an interest that he can’t explain. He just knows he wants to keep her around and make her smile, which doesn’t seem the norm for her.


“I let out a bitter curse and tried to look away. I failed. Instead, my mouth met hers. And I instantly forgot all the reasons I’d been pushing her away, and for the first time since meeting her, I did exactly what I’d always wanted to do. I claimed her.”


Dani has had a really hard time and she is only seventeen. I had moments where her character bothered me but overall I loved how she was written. You could really feel her want to break free but also her want to hide. She doesn’t want to come out from behind her wall of grief where she felt safe, until Lincoln came into her life. Dani wanted to speak but she never really had to motivation. Dani’s family wrapped her in saran wrap and won’t let her go. Now Lincoln is here and has taken the gloves off. I loved Lincoln’s character. He was a Hollywood star that was your normal jaded character. He wanted the friendship that came with Dani and her crazy family. Both characters worked so well together.


“Her feet dangled against my shins as I swung her around and kissed her harder, needing her more than my next breath.”


There was so much going on in this story and it made it enjoyable. We have the hilarity of Dani’s best friends and family, the emotional part of Dani’s past, and the romance between Dani and Lincoln. While at time I feel like her friends and family were too overprotective I don’t have any brothers so I wouldn’t really know. It did make for some laugh out loud moments between everyone. I understand that Dani’s age was a semi problem but it was made into a bigger deal than it needed to be. This seemed to be a made up problem for me and it was overstated on every page. Other than that I really loved how this story was written. I was not in the mood for a really dramatic book and his wasn’t one of them. There wasn’t a whole lot of drama between the couple and which made it an enjoyable read. One of my favorite parts is that Lincoln really wanted to earn Dani’s love. He didn’t want easy he wanted to be the guy Dani deserved and he really did it.


“I want to chase you, Dani.” I sucked in a breath. “I want to capture you.”


While this wasn’t my absolute favorite Rachel Van Dyken book it is definitely up there. If you haven’t read a book from this author before you need to get on it. With the humor that Rachel can put in her books it is completely surprising how emotional, heartbreaking, and so very touching her books can be. Capture was a light and fast read that is a great opening for this series.




Connect with Rachel Van Dyken


No comments :

Post a Comment