October 26, 2014

REVIEW: Alex (Cold Fury Hockey #1) By, Sawyer Bennett




 photo GR_zps5fe521f1.jpg











Hockey star Alexander Crossman has a reputation as a cold-hearted player on and off the rink. Pushed into the sport by an alcoholic father, Alex isn’t afraid to give fans the proverbial middle finger, relishing his role as the MVP they love to hate. Management, however, isn’t so amused. Now Alex has a choice: fix his public image through community service or ride the bench. But Alex refuses to be molded into the Carolina Cold Fury poster boy . . . not even by a tempting redhead with killer curves.

As a social worker, Sutton Price is accustomed to difficult people—like Alex, who’s been assigned to help her create a drug-abuse awareness program for at-risk youth as part of the team’s effort to clean up his image. What she doesn’t expect is the arrogant smirk from his perfect lips to stir her most heated fantasies. But Sutton isn’t one to cross professional boundaries—and besides, Alex doesn’t do relationships . . . or does he? The more she sees behind Alex’s bad-boy façade, the more Sutton craves the man she uncovers.






I fell in love with Sawyer Bennett when I picked up the Last Call series. I knew that I had to pick this one up as well. I mean if you want a steamy read Sawyer’s books definitely do it. This one was different it was light hearted and fun with characters that had some issues under the face they show everyone.

“She’ll always be first. 
Above all else. 
Forever.”

Sutton is a counselor for adults and teens that deal with drug and alcohol abuse. She wanted to be able to help someone like the teacher at her school helped her. Sutton’s father is addiction to Heroine. He was abusive when he was looking for his next fix. Sutton’s mom got them out of the house eventually and that solidifies Sutton’s need to help others. When a youth program falls into her lap she doesn’t hesitate to agree to work on it. Only she has to work with a hockey player and she knows nothing about hockey. Or about the player that shows up thirty minutes late to their first meeting.

“Alex flashes me another huge smile, and again, it seeps inside and possess me completely. I shouldn’t want that feeling, but God help me… there’s a part of me screaming to just roll over and submit to it.”

I like Sutton’s character. Even after everything she has suffered she isn’t bitter and angry. She turned what she went through into a good thing. She isn’t whinny and looking for pity. She tries to find the happy things in life. There were moments were it wasn’t believable she was almost too understanding. When the break-up happens with Brandon I understand her being ok with it. The love wasn’t meant to last but when Alex does the same thing and she’s like I’m not angry I understand. I didn’t get it. Losing a love like that would make someone angry even they came to understand it eventually. Other than that I really liked her character.

“I am nothing, Dad. And that’s solely because of you.”

Alex is Cold Fury’s MVP. He is their most valuable player but mostly he is Cold Fury’s most valuable prick. He is an asshole to his team, his coach, and his fans but he doesn’t care. He hates hockey all because of the way he father abused and pushed him when he was younger. Now he is hording his money waiting for the day that he no longer can play hockey. No with his attitude at an all-time low his management wants to chance his attitude and if he doesn’t he is off the team. When he meets Sutton everything starts to change for Alex.

“I can’t let you go. I don’t want to hurt you but I don’t want to be without you either. I’ve said it before… I’m a selfish bastard. I’ll risk hurting you so I can have another day, another week, another month.”

Alex’s character was a mess of emotions. He went through so much when he was younger that he doesn’t know how to deal with emotions that are happy or healthy. He cares about Sutton he just doesn’t know what to do with his emotions. The pull back and forth with his father and not wanting to hurt Sutton was a little tiring but eventually it all worked out. He knew what he was looking for and fixed himself and grew passed that bitter angry man he was in the beginning.

“God, I missed,” Those four words tipped me over the edge and I pretty much fucking kissed my soul goodbye.”

This song was about too people who looked like they had everything on the outside but where broken on the inside. Sutton had gotten past it and made her life better for it. But Alex managed to find someone who understood him right down to his soul. This book was full of steamy moments. Sawyer can write some pretty great ones. Alex is freaking sexy and Sutton knows how to handle everything that he wants to give her. There was also humor in this book. Alex and his ego. Sutton not backing down when he is being an asshole.

“I can’t wait,” she sighs with a bit of frustration that has my man card elevating from gold to platinum status.”

This one might not have been my favorite Sawyer Bennett book but it had everything I love from her. The writing was well done. The connection between the characters was strong enough to feel outside of my kindle. There were steamy scene that you needed a fan for and the story captivated you. I would recommend this to any Sawyer fan and anyone who like a contemporary romance.

“There is nothing I wouldn’t do for this woman. There is nothing I wouldn’t give up, nothing I wouldn’t sacrifice for her.”          







 photo
Amazon-app-button-small_zps54177e63.jpg    photo bead2577-80fb-402c-90c7-6f000b3d3789_zps2b17ea00.png    photo
button-kobo_zps35253357.jpg











 photo
Cover_zpsd1e8ed6c.jpg    photo
23121837_zps7f74a062.jpg





Connect with Sawyer











No comments :

Post a Comment