May 19, 2015

REVIEW: Fair Game (The Rules #1) By, Monica Murphy




 Bad enough Jade Frost’s boyfriend drags her to a boring poker game. Even worse that he actually threw her into the betting pot during an intense round…and lost. Talk about the perfect excuse for Jade to make him her ex-boyfriend.

Now she supposedly belongs to the ultra rich, extremely gorgeous Shep Prescott. He could have anything he wants yet he seems to be in hot pursuit of her. No matter how rude, how snarky, how impossible she acts, it doesn’t stop him. More like her horrible behavior seems to make him want her more.

When she finds herself starting to fall for him, Jade’s confused. There’s more to Shep than the carefree rich charmer he portrays. No way could he want a serious relationship with her…or could he?





Review
“I touch her cheek, drift my fingers across her soft skin and when she sighs, the softest sound I’ve ever hear, I feel it right to the very depths of my soul.”

I am a huge Monica Murphy fan, she won me over with the One Week Girlfriend series and now I can’t stop reading her books. I haven’t been disappointed yet and Fair Game is no exception. I loved this book. There were parts that I didn’t care for but I think it made me enjoy the story even more overall. The characters were great and the storyline was done well and unexpected. When you get the rich guy poor girl romance some parts can seem predictable but Monica Murphy created twists that I wasn’t expecting.

“I can smell her now, sweet and clean and I clamp my lips shut, breathing through my nose, trying my best not to inhale her. I really want to fucking inhale her.”

Shep Prescott is the rich player on campus. He can have anyone and anything he wants whenever he wants it. Jade Frost is the opposite of Shep. She is a girl that cares about her grades and she is definitely poor. When her boyfriend bets her in a poker game Shep decides that he will do anything to collect on the bet. Even after Jade slaps him in the face. Jade is doing everything she can to make Shep not want to claim his winnings. The more time Jade spends with Shep the more she sees herself giving in to him and maybe even falling for him. Shep doesn’t see the importance of getting serious in college, but for some reason Jade has gotten under his skin and he can’t seem to let her go. One and done is not going to apply to Jade and he doesn’t know how to deal with everything he is feeling.

“She’s frowning, her eyebrows draw together and damn it, I love every look she wears. When she’s happy, when she’s sad, when she’s mad, when she’s aroused, confused… All of them. Every single one. I want every expression, every sound, every word she says. I want to know about all of them, I want them to be all for me and no one else.”

From the very first page Jade had me. The minute we meet her character she is talking shit about Shep, right behind. She is trying to be quite but you know he can hear her. Jade is sassy and kind of a bitch. But the kind of bitch you can’t help but love. She doesn’t care what anyone else thinks of her. While she is judgey when it comes to Shep, his money and popularity doesn’t have any effect what so ever on her opinion of people. Shep’s chapters where extremely honest. We got to work through his feelings on the things he did in his past. We really got to follow him through his player ways into someone who wanted more out of life. I loved both of their characters individually as well as together. One minute they could be having a sweet moment and then, it’s like a light switch, they go to yelling at each other. Both of the characters had their problems but it worked.

“Sometimes it’s like she can barely tolerate me and I sort of like that too. It’s weird.”

There were definitely some interesting side characters. Jade’s best friend was funny in her own way. She was slightly more promiscuous but she also helped Jade some out of her shell. She let Jade complain about Shep but also gave her the room to explore what was between them without judgement. Shep’s best friend, Gabe, was someone that I am interested in knowing more but he kind of bothered me. He was trying really hard to keep his friend from falling in love and some of the things he said bothered me. Shep’s cousin Tristan was someone I really didn’t like. He was on Shep’s case about the rules and getting serious before college was over. He was the least supportive and the rudest throughout the book.

“All I can see, hear, taste, focus on is Shep. And it’s so go, so perfect I’m almost scared. How can it get any better than this?”

Drama in a book is good when I am in the mood for it but I loved the way Monica handled the drama in this book. The predictable split happened before either of them got serious and it didn’t last very long. There was so much tension and angst when they were together anything more than that would have been overkill. Monica created a story that was filled with tension but it wasn’t the drama filled tension and I loved it. Shep and Jade’s story was unique in it’s own way while still having the beautiful writing that comes with a Monica Murphy story. Fair game was filled with hot moment’s as well swoon-worthy moments that made you fall in love with Shep and Jade. Fair Game is definitely a book that needs to be picked up. I can’t wait for the next books in The Rule series!

“Teasing her. Wanting to drive her insane because holy fuck, she’s been driving me crazy since the very first moment I met her. I set eyes on her in that mirror, heard that smart mouth running a mile a minute as she sat behind me and I was hooked. If anything, I’m more hooked now. Addicted. Desperate to have her. Desperate to make her mine.”




Connect with Monica

Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Website

No comments :

Post a Comment