April 6, 2014

Summoned Review

* I was given this book by the author for an honest review *
Summoned
By,
Rainy Kaye

4-4.5 stars!

*18+ mature content*



Twenty-three year old Dimitri has to do what he is told-literally, controlled by a paranormal bond, he is forced to use wits to fulfill his unlimited deadly wishes made ​​by multimillionaire Karl Walker.

Dimitri has no idea how his family line became trapped in the genie bonds. He just knows resisting has never ended well. When he meets Syd-assertive, sexy, intelligent Syd-he's determined to make her become his. Except Karl has ensured Dimitri can not tell anyone about the bond, and Syd is not the type to tolerate secrets.

Then Karl starts sending him away on back-to-back wishes. Unable to balance love and lies, Dimitri sets out to uncover Karl's ultimate plan and put it to an end. But doing so forces him to confront the one wish he never saw coming-the wish that will destroy him.

A dark twist on the genie folklore, SUMMONED follows a reluctant criminal as he unravels the mystery of the paranormal bond controlling him.

SUMMONED is Represented by Rossano Trentin of TZLA.

Notes: SUMMONED contains strong language, naughty scenes, mature content, terrible wishes, mystery, violence, discomfort, explosions, and an apple.

My Thoughts ...

"I dislike having to murder someone."



That is the first line in the book. Just from one line I realized that this book was going to be a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it had potential by just reading the synopsis but after reading the first line I knew it was going to be better than I thought.

The story opens with Dimitri coming back on a wish that Karl sent him on. He is bringing back a nine year old that he has kidnapped. This like many scenes in the book is hilarious. The little girl is sitting on his front seat, shackled no less, threatening to kill him. His inner monologue during this is the funniest thing ever.

"If you kill me, my dad will track you down." She drops back into her seat and looks at me again. "He'll track you down and kill you back."
Great, I picked up Liam Neeson's daughter. "

I felt bad for Dimitri through this whole book. He knows he does bad things but he has no say or choice in any of these wishes. He thinks he is the bad guy but I never thought he was. He doesn't have a choice. He spends half his time "granting" Karl his wishes and the other half waiting to be summoned by the bastard. Of course it's no surprise he tries to make the best of it by getting drunk, playing video games, and having occasional one night stands.

"And this one guy I game with online, but he's kind of a dick. That's gamer code for someone who is better."

After the kidnapping Dimitri goes to the bar to try and forget about the kind of work he does during the day. This is where he meets Syd. He brings her home and does ... you know. The next morning Dimitri get summoned but not before he finds out Syd stoles his phone number. Something he did not want to happen in his life because there is no room for relationships of any kind. 

That changes with Syd. Syd is freaking crazy in a hilarious kind of way. She has all these random thoughts going through her head at all times and she is not afraid to voice them aloud. One of the times they have sex he throws her out right before he gets summoned. When Dimitri get back she threatens to slash all of his tires and bust all of his windows if he handles her like that again. 

The relationship these two have is pretty funny to read through. It's not the conventional relationship. In the beginning Dimitri can not have one. It's too complicated. Eventually Syd sneaks her way into his life and his heart before he even knows that it happened. 

"I want to bang her until one of us is unconscious "

Now I want to talk about my favorite part of this book. The writing. Kaye does an amazing job. The writing was really interesting. It keeps you engaged in the book. You want to keep reading just to see what she is going to come up with next. Dimitri calls people funny/insulting names like, Jerk Waffle, and many others throughout this book. I could not stop laughing. My husband thought I was insane.

Kaye does little flashbacks throughout the story so that you get to see how it was for Dimitri growing up. Learning and finally understanding what it means to be the jinn for Karl's family. 

Let me just talk for a second about Silvia. That girl is freaking crazy in a bad way. She is creepy in the beginning and it just becomes worse and worse. I mean she does some messed up stuff and then wants to use her wishes, when she finally takes control of Dimitri, to make him sleep with her.
Total creep.

Her mother is not much better.

"Eileena has two Ferraris, because kisses might begin with K but better things begin with F."

Usually the love story is my favorite in the book but this time it wasn't, Syd and Dimitri's romance was kind of a weird one. You did not see much more than the naughty scenes that happened between them. You could tell he was falling for her but sometimes it was like he was only in love with the what she represented, a life that he could never have. A free life. He was always going to be controlled by Karl.  So the love story was a little complicated. 

The story line was really interesting. It was like a weird modern take on Aladdin. Except Jasmin falls in love with the genie and Aladdin is a sadistic asshole hell bent on having all kinds of power. I have yet to read something like it so it was refreshing and new for me. I really enjoyed this book and the twists in the book are pretty good. 

I loved that at the end you finally got to see what happens when Dimitri tries to fight a wish. It was pretty gruesome but I think it was necessary. Dimitri hints at it but we do not get to see it happen until the end.

"I don't know when Syd became mine. I'm not even entirely sure how that development happened, but it's forever. There is no other possibility. At least, not one I'm willing to consider right now."

Link

No comments :

Post a Comment