August 31, 2014

His Reverie Review















His Reverie


(Reverie Book #1)

By,
Monica Murphy
4 Stars!!!



 photo GR_zps5fe521f1.jpg
 

I knew from the moment I first saw her she was the one. The only girl I could ever want.

The only girl I could ever love.

She is light.

I am darkness.

She is innocent.

I’ve done too much.

She is good.

I am bad.

She is my every dream.

I should be her every nightmare.

We come from different worlds. She’s…perfect. And I’m…

Not.

Somehow she wants me anyway. So we’ll grasp at what we can. We’re going to make this summer count. She’s my secret. And I’m hers.

The problem with secrets is they never last for long. And when others discover we’re together, they’ll do whatever it takes to keep us apart. All I know is: I won’t let them.

Because Reverie Hale? She’s mine.






“Reverie has become my everything. And that’s both scary and wonderful, all at the same time.”

Monica Murphy. What can I say about Monica Murphy other than I flipping love her books!!!! One Week Girlfriend is probably one of my all-time favorites. So when I heard about His Reverie I knew that I had to purchase this book the minute it became available. And let me tell you…..it was sooo worth it. The book had its problems but overall I really enjoyed this new book.

Nick has spent eleven months in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. His mom dies shortly after and now he is on his own. He has to find a job to pay the rent and keep him alive until he can find a way out of the town he is in. Let me just remind you this kid is Seventeen. He has been through so much and now he is just trying to survive. He gets a job with the famous Reverend Hale. That is where he meets Reverie. He knows he can’t have her. She is too pure for the darkness that is his life. But he can’t help the pull she has and soon he stops fighting.



I both like and disliked Nick’s character. Nick has a hard life. Not only has he been through jail and his mother dying but he has always lived hard. On the wrong side of the tracks. I really felt for his character. He just wants to go somewhere were people won’t know who he is. The part that bothered me about Nick is that he seemed to always be thinking about Reverie is sexual terms. Yes I understand he is a teenage boy but he only mentioned the pull or any other feeling he has for Reverie a few times. It started to bother me how much he thought of her that way. At times he can be pretty judgey too. Other than that I liked his character. He was desperate to keep his job but he was also desperate to keep Reverie safe. Which we saw in the cliffhanger.

Reverie is Reverend Hale’s daughter. She is as pure as pure can get. She has never flirted with boys, touched boys, or had any real contact that wasn’t her brother or father. She has always been sheltered by her family. She is bored and lonely. Until Nicholas shows up at her summer house. She knows she wants all of her firsts to be with him. All of them. She plans on giving the summer and so much more to Nicholas. No matter what secrets he is hiding. She plans to stand by him no matter what.



I really liked Reverie’s character. She was innocent in every way but she didn’t let that hold her back. She was awkward and shy but she also had enough back bone to go after what she wanted. She wants Nick and she works hard to get him. Sometimes I thought she was really naive. She has never had to work at anything and she really doesn’t know about the world outside the one her parents have put her into. Sometimes that naiveté go on my nerves but other than that her character was amazing. She turned out pretty cool even though her parent smoother and ignore her at the same time.

I loved the way Monica Murphy wrote this book. We got to be in the moment with Nick but we got to see Reverie’s POV through her diary which showed her innocence. For most of the story it felt like it was one giant prologue. We finally got into the good parts of the story towards the end and then there was the cliffhanger. I am perfectly fine with that. It just means we get another great book and it also means the next one should be even better!







No comments :

Post a Comment